We wanted to make a coffee machine smarter in order to:
- control it from anywhere and at any time
- prepare coffee for tomorrow morning at 8AM
- give a vocal command to your smartphone that will make your coffee
- using a camera to make coffee for known users
- get coffee machine statistics such as number of coffee per day…
We did it by hacking the front side daughter board of the coffee machine. An ESP8266 is used to control the device and to get basic status. It publishes these information using the MQTT protocol. Optionally a teensy 3.2 can be used to get a more reliable coffee machine status by sniffing LCD lines.
Demonstration of “Café sourire”: a project from ENSIMAG students is in A4H creativity lab
More details here.